Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fathers...

The greatest gift I ever had
Came from God; I call him Dad!
~Author Unknown




Thanks to all the wonderful men in my life both here and gone who have been the examples of kindness and compassion, who are and were powerful influences for good regardless of whether or not they have children of their own.

I hope right now you'll take a moment right now to think of those who fill the important role of a father in your own lives.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Father's Day -

To dad - Thank you for giving me both roots and wings, for teaching me correct principles and setting me on the right path.  Thanks for the late nights and early mornings, the sleepless hours spent worrying and praying. Thanks for all you continue to do.

To my brothers both by birth and marriage - Thanks for being the men you are and raising your children with love and compassion in a challenging and sometimes scary world.

To my uncles and grandfathers - Thank you for your examples of care and devotion.

To friends both old and new - Thank you for your kindness and example, for "sharing" your families with me.

To all those who may not be fathers in the strict sense of the word - Thank you for sharing your time, talent, energies, and love with all those around you.

Happy Father's Day!






If you've gotten this far and you want to read on, I thought I'd share a poem I wrote last year as part of a talk I gave on Father's Day. It's not Shakespeare, but hopefully it'll do... :-)

Fathers

We honor you upon this day
For actions small and great

For courage to stand up and fight
And lead on the path that’s straight.

We thank you for your sacrifice
Your gentle, constant love

Your example to your family
With guidance from above

May our Heavenly Father bless you
As you lead with love and care

May you rely upon him always
As you go to Him in prayer
 - M. Durrant, June 17, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment