Saturday, February 11, 2012

I love to see the Temple...

Monticello, Utah Temple 
I had the opportunity to attend the Monticello Temple with a friend of mine today. She was invited by the family of a young lady in our ward to be at the Temple when she went through for the first time. My friend didn't feel comfortable driving the distance on her own and asked if I would drive her down and attend the session as well.

Now I must admit - though I am ashamed to - that it has been far too long since I have taken the opportunity to attend a session.  Life just seemed to get in the way. College courses and assignments came and went. Workshops and conferences filled weekends. Family events took precedence. Visits with friends filled other hours. There were a thousand and one excuses I told myself each time I failed to follow through on plans to go. Many of them were valid and reasonable, but they were ultimately, just that - excuses. So, it was with gratitude, and a bit of apprehension, that I went today, hoping I wouldn't flub anything up too badly. 

Upon entering this sacred place I was greeted in hushed but friendly tones and guided where I would need to go. As I waited for the session to begin the quietness and peace of the room lent itself well to prayerful pondering. Removed from the din of the outside world I turned my thoughts away from the hustle and bustle of every day and instead focused on praying for guidance, healing, and peace for those whom I care and for myself. 

The familiarity of the experience, even after my long absence was soothing. As I went throughout the day, in many ways it brought to mind my own experience in going through the Temple for the first time over a decade ago. The quiet expectancy, the reverent tones, the beauty of the surroundings, the peace and comfort that fall upon questioning, troubled, and weary hearts were in abundance on this late winter afternoon, as they were back then.

I needed that today. 

I can't say that I had any startling epiphanies. I saw no burning bush. Manna did not appear from the heavens. Any angels who may have been in attendance were purely unseen.

 Still, I left the beautiful edifice feeling a sense of peace that I hope will stay with me for a while.


I truly do "love to see the Temple..."


No comments:

Post a Comment