Sunday, May 6, 2012

Life Through My Lens - Walls...


I have passed this wall countless times as I have driven the winding road that wends its way through Price Canyon. As I was passing through again on a return journey to my home I saw it again, but this time I stopped to capture it with my camera. 

As I focused the lens and readied to take the photo, it struck me that we all have walls. 

I am not speaking merely of physical walls, but walls we build within ourselves. Daily, it seems, we add brick and mortar to those walls - not wanting to let others in past our defenses for fear of failure, rejection, or being hurt.

Still,
Something there is that doesn't love a wall, 
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it, 
And spills the upper boulders in the sun, 
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast...
(Excerpts from Mending Wall by Robert Frost)

The difficulty comes in letting the walls come down, brick by brick, leaving one open and vulnerable. And yet it is in these very moments of vulnerability, of utter openness that we have the greatest chance to make connections with others... to help them tear down their own walls... to be good neighbors... to be good friends...




Adventures & Misadventures of Daily Living

No comments:

Post a Comment