Thursday, August 30, 2012

Friendship...



The events of the past few weeks have been a poignant reminder to me not to leave things unsaid. They have also been a reminder of the value of true friends both old and new. While I imagine many of us have wonderful friends, do we take the time to let them know we feel that way? Do we make the effort to give voice to the feelings of our hearts?

We may think that those around us know that we care and that we don't need to say the words. Perhaps we aren't comfortable in expressing our feelings through words and simply hope that actions suffice. Perhaps we take for granted that the words have been spoken and need not be repeated. Whatever the reason we often lose opportunities to let others know how we feel.

If there is anything that I have learned from the experiences of the last several weeks it is that we need to tell those for whom we care how we feel - and often - because we never know when it will be too late. We never know what difference a few words coupled with action can make in someone's life.

It is in that light this post was born.

The past few years I have come in contact with wonderful people in the town where I live and have developed friendships with many of them.

Yet, there are a few who have gone above and beyond the call of ordinary friendship. To those people I say a deep and heartfelt thank you even though that doesn't seem to be enough. You cannot know how I treasure the kindness and compassion you show me on a continual basis. Your support and care help sustain me through difficult times and your fun and laughter make good days into great ones. Whether "Nanny McD" or "Auntie M" or simply "Ms. D" your acceptance of me into your lives is a true blessing. Your encouragement and acknowledgement of my strengths - even when I may not see them myself uplifts me and your acceptance of my weaknesses and foibles while still encouraging me to grow and change and improve makes me a better person. I only hope that I can be the kind of friend to you that you are to me.

So thank you...
      for laughing at silly jokes...
      for lifting when I fall...
      for inviting me into your family...
      for encouraging, and cajoling, and uplifting...
      for simply being who you are...

Thanks....



1 comment:

  1. Great post- and I say that without any prejudice. Okay, maybe just a little... and DITTO! :)

    ReplyDelete