Monday, July 4, 2011

When in the course of human events...



I love the 4th of July. I love being with family and friends enjoying the fun of the day. But, as I read over what I wrote last year I was reminded that sometimes we forget that beyond the parades, barbecues, and fireworks there is a deeper meaning to this day. It is often lost in the bustle of activity that surrounds this day. It amazes me that what began 235 years ago with a motley crew of farmers, merchants, and every day citizens has lasted so long.


I hope that as we celebrate our country's 235th birthday, we can say along with Francis Scott Key:

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war’s desolation.
Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust;”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave
(4th Verse -- The Star Spangled Banner)

I guess I'll close this post for now as I head with my family to watch the fireworks that will end my hometown's Independence Day celebration. I'll end this post with this song I thought was appropriate for the day. Happy 4th of July!



I think I'll post some pictures of our day in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment