Saturday, July 9, 2011

Where is heaven?

I had an opportunity today that got me thinking about life and family and the loving relationships we have with others that expand beyond this mortal sphere. It brought to mind a song I remember hearing when I was younger. The lyrics, by Janice Kapp Perry, went something like this:

In quiet moments when I'm all alone,
I close my eyes and try to see my Heavenly Home.
Where is heaven?
Is it very far? 
I would to know if it's beyond the brightest star.
Where is heaven?
Is it very far?
When you're with the ones you love-
It's right where you are.

Some very good friends gathered to honor the 2nd anniversary of the passing of one of my friends' mother and graciously invited my to be part of the commemoration and celebration of this wonderful woman's life. My friend planned to launch a balloon with a message written on it to his mom. He gave those of us with him the opportunity to do the same on our own balloons. My note was sent to my grandparents on both sides and my uncle who died far to young several years ago. At 6:00 p.m. MST we let the balloons free for their celestial journey. We watched until they were so small you could no longer see them. (Unfortunately, my camera was unable to capture them.)  Yet, we knew they (the balloons) were there, though they were now unable to be seen. It seemed to me that the were very much like those in our lives whom we may not see because they have gone on, but who live forever in our hearts.  It also brought to mind all of the people both here and beyond the veil whose love and guidance have influenced me to become the person I am today. I have been blessed in my life to have met so many diverse people - both family members and friends. In the long run, I guess the song is correct - when you're with the ones you love, Heaven isn't very far.

So - thanks, Mr. Z. for including me along with the H's in your celebration. Thanks for reminding me not to  take for granted the relationships with family and friends that are still among us. And, thank you for helping me remember those who are waiting beyond the veil. It's an experience I will look back on with gratitude and good memories.




No comments:

Post a Comment